TVP 12 or equivalent?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
BinaryD00D

TVP 12 or equivalent?

Post by BinaryD00D »

Hello,

so I have been using TVP10 for a while. But it seems like it is a bit buggy on extremely new rigs. I was thinking if it I was going to buy an art/animation software it would be TvPaint. However, it is quite the investment, if I were to buy TVP11 it would be like 5-7 years of dedication for a single purchase. However, in that timespan I'm afraid I'd run into the same problems in even newer rigs (in the future) as TVP 10 does right now! processors, graphic cards/mother borad producers, operating systems, are all very unpredictable, and in my view third party software has taken a hit since windows 10 in terms of continuity and consistency of performance.

So I wanted to know if there are plans for a newer version. Even if not TVP12 then something like the android version with extra enhancements. I could technically work solely off the android version of TVP11 and then export it on TVP10 on PC, but my work requires far more performance than any android device currently allows.

Sorry for an abrupt question, maybe there has been smaller announcements that I do not know of. But really, if there is a TVP12 on the works I would rather wait for it to pay it with full price than TVP11 with student discount... if I think long term.

i have a lot of faith in this software, just kinda want to now the status :P
Peter Wassink

Re: TVP 12 or equivalent?

Post by Peter Wassink »

i wouldn't wait. first in the books is the free 11.5 update
Who knows how long you'd have to wait for v12?

Also if you are in the position to purchase with student discount i would certainly do that.
when v12 comes out you only need to pay the upgrade price.

i'm guessing that the upgrade price + student purchase price together is probably in the same ballpark as a full price of a v12.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hi all,
As Peter said, the next major TVPaint version won't be released soon, it is currently in development and things are going well. In the meantime, a v11.5 update is coming (some users already have access to it, but the pandemic and Big Sur MacOS update have forced us to delay communication about it) and we will keep adding as much stuff as possible to TVPaint 11 :)
Probably a vampire
BinaryD00D

Post by BinaryD00D »

Thank you for your answer!

May I ask a "Special EDU Code" is? I remember there being an option to send in a a copy of a student card to TvPaint, or maybe I'm incorrect and confusing things.

I don't recall my college providing it... is it only eligible on a few schools?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello,
Some schools are in a partnership with TVPaint and get a special EDU Code, an additional discount code for their students. Students from schools with no Edu code are still eligible for the default Education discount.

Kind regards,
Probably a vampire
BinaryD00D

Post by BinaryD00D »

Oh, I had no idea there were partnerships!

So for non-partnered schools you just show your Student ID/Card?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Yes exactly :)
Probably a vampire
condepablo

Post by condepablo »

anyone has any idea about the future of tvpaint? its been a while since we are on version 11. and I think there are many upgrades and improvements we need to see on the software. Im a 2d animator professor, but I can´t convince my students to use tvpaint, they say the look and the basics tools are very old :(
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, explain to them the stupidity of that attitude? What "new tool" do they need that urgently? The pencil is thousands of years old, don't expect an update soon.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
condepablo

Post by condepablo »

well, here I post some observation I think would be nice: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=13167

the "kill current image(s) apply to all layers" still doesnt work, and I use that very often.

the repeat image behaviour would be best if they respect the heads, I mean: I put on random, but I have all in twos, but the random works in ones.

and I dont think its stupidity, I think the same way, tvpaint has a very old HUD, looks like a 90s software, I search a lot in the forum and find always that the soft can´t do this, or can´t do that because the original code is old. if that keeps that way, I don´t know what would be the future of tvp.

on the other hand you have krita, being a free software, with a couple of fixes could be a really competitive soft.

I dont want to underestimate tvp, I use it all the time, but I really feel i´s getting stuck. And Im not talking about add vectors or 3d or anything of that sh*t.
cf-mankit

Post by cf-mankit »

Slowtiger, you need to re-consider these type of comments.

There are customers with legitimate concerns.
It really hampers progress when there are people who want to make suggestions but always run into a wall of devote defenders
with this common line of response attitude.

- Implying your issues are more or less related to your skill in art, or in some lateral manner; your ability and in a very passive aggressive manner.
- Be happy with what you have, because I am.

The pencil is a pencil, this is a software. You are simply gas-lighting.

Thank you
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm sorry, but "they say the look and the basics tools are very old" doesn't sound specific enough to merit a more detailed response. It's not a real feature request.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

Dean already stated in this very thread that the next major version (TVP 12) is in development. As he said, it's going to be a long wait.

Since that comment the pandemic was already well underway which likely affected progress, as with any other software company. Keep in mind they're a small team and have to carefully prioritize their time and resources. Considering all this, they've actually been far more open and active in regards to features and improvement requests compared to years past. And over the past year or so the frequency of updates has increased! So yes, they are listening to everyone's requests and seem to be working diligently to implement them as best they can. Just look at many of Xavier's posts and see how much effort he puts in to making sure he gets things right. That's just one example. I sense nothing but enthusiasm and optimism from the current TVP team. That's a good sign to me.

-Want to see TVP 11 improve? Lay out your requests and provide a clear explanation of how and why it would be beneficial.
-Want to see TVP 12 with that shiny new engine capable of doing what the current version can't? I know I do! Just be patient, it's coming.

Also, seems a bit unfair to criticize Slowtiger's response. With all due respect to Condepablo, his initial post was rather vague and didn't provide much substance with which to respond. If he or anyone else has unresolved issues/requests, they should probably bump the request.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Cardin wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 18:42 Just look at many of Xavier's posts and see how much effort he puts in to making sure he gets things right.
Thanks, it went straight to my heart ;)

You're right, good things are coming. And also right that we are busy preparing them (sorry, I can't tell more ! I know it's been a while).

I'd agree that the interface is anything but fancy. More and more young users grow used to colorful fancy apps on their phones, even on their computers.
It's hard to cope with the pace of IT evolution.

However TVPaint is about professional drawing. And its interface was initially designed to avoid disturbing the artist eye.
But the TVPaint colors are fully customizable, and we could also start exchanging color themes to "workaround" the old-fashioned interface.
condepablo

Post by condepablo »

I know the interface is not important when it cames to draw an animate. of course it helps to catch new people.

but where I think tvpaint need to improve is the transform tool, been able to make warps for example.

in the selection tool been able to use shift and alt to add or substract selection. and click outside deselect. the standar way to almost all softwares

been able to get folders of layers, now a days you have it even on krita.

anyway, glad to ear something its comming :o