Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 vs Pro 24 for TVPaint

To talk about anything else
it_ross

Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 vs Pro 24 for TVPaint

Post by it_ross »

Hello. I recently got TVPaint because I want to work on traditional animation both as a hobby and professionally if I can. I am interested in getting a pen display for using the software. I am receiving the tablet as a graduation gift, and so I am interested in choosing between the Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 or the Cintiq Pro 24 (non-touch), which seem like the best on the market. I have done quite a bit of research on the two tablets and I can see pros and cons for each.

The Pro 24 obviously seems like the better choice, but I would ideally like a tablet that is portable. The Pro 24 is humongous and I have no idea how I would mount it -- I'd rather not pay $500 for Wacom's stand. The Pro 16 has pretty straightforward and affordable mounting solutions.

One of my biggest concerns though is the TVPaint user interface. Most tablet reviews talk about Photoshop, which has a nice big canvas on the screen, whereas TVPaint's canvas is a bit smaller relative to the peripheral panels such as the timeline. Does anyone have any experience with TVPaint on a 16-inch tablet? Does it seem cramped?

On the flip side I am concerned that the 24-inch tablet might even be unnecessarily large for TVPaint. I have used Procreate on a 12.9 inch iPad Pro (1st gen) and it's a very comfortable size. I wouldn't want to use the iPad for TVPaint though -- I tried it with sidecar and the screen was too small.

I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks :D
Sloppytoons

Re: Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 vs Pro 24 for TVPaint

Post by Sloppytoons »

personally I found 16" more than enough for TVpaint. Currently I'm using a 13" Mobile studio pro. I also used my 11" Galaxy Tab to sketch when that was compatible (They are fixing this).

I'll be honest though, A laptop and a separate tablet are hardly portable. Even my mobile studio pro isn't Portable enough for anything more, then working on site, or carrying it around the house.

I rather just get Samsung 2 in 1 like the Galaxy Pro 360. It has a Wacom EMR pen, that is comparable to what you get on the Cintiq (Personally I like it better)

Also I love touch, but TV paint is set up in a way, that I never use it. I use it for clip studio, but not TVpaint.
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

it_ross wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 08:17 The Pro 24 is humongous and I have no idea how I would mount it -- I'd rather not pay $500 for Wacom's stand. The Pro 16 has pretty straightforward and affordable mounting solutions.
Wait now ... what ?! Wacom makes you pay $500 extra for the stand ?!! I have a Cintiq 21UX (still working fine after 12 years) and it came with the stand included , but I ended up replacing the stand with an Ergotron Arm , however , that was my own choice to pay extra for the Ergotron Arm. The stand that came with the Cintiq 21UX was functional , I simply prefer the added flexibility of the Ergotron Arm. Is the standard base price of the Cintiq 24 including the stand, but they will knock off $500 from the original purchase price if you order it without the stand ? (this option for those who will choose to mount it on an Ergotron Arm or similar mounting device). But if you do want Wacom's stand you pay a higher price (+$500) ? Is that how it works ?

My own preference is for a larger screen. For me the 21" screen is fine , but if I had the extra screen real estate of a Cintiq 24" or 27" (or the humongous 32") I am sure I would appreciate it.
I have recently purchased an iPad Pro 12.9 . I find it is not bad for drawing, because the resolution is so high on the iPad screen (2732 x 2048 compared to my Cintiq 21UX resolution of 1600 x 1200.)
I would still prefer a larger screen . (and of course, no TVPaint on iPad , but I quite enjoy using Callipeg for animation on the iPad , and it's possible to transfer image sequences from Callipeg over to my computer to load in TVPaint, so I can use the iPad when I need the portability )
"One of my biggest concerns though is the TVPaint user interface. Most tablet reviews talk about Photoshop, which has a nice big canvas on the screen, whereas TVPaint's canvas is a bit smaller relative to the peripheral panels such as the timeline. Does anyone have any experience with TVPaint on a 16-inch tablet? Does it seem cramped"?
I set up my Rooms (workspaces) so that one of my Rooms is only the canvas and a small floating tool bar with my most frequently used Pencil and Eraser tools, so almost all the screen is given to the canvas. Keyboard shortcuts easily toggle between my "Drawing Room" and my "FX Stack/Compositing Room". (there are a total of 4 Room options, but most of the time I use only 2 Room options ) Keyboard shortcut 0 toggles on the Timeline if I need to see it , then press 0 again to hide the Timeline. Or switch between Rooms to a different Room that has the Timeline visible. Either way works.

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -customize

I think this is the best way to set up TVPaint , whether you have a very large screen or smaller screen.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, they take it from the living ... but there's help. DIY like this: https://www.solidsmack.com/design/indus ... pro-stand/

I have a 1st gen Wacom 22 and wouldn't want anything smaller.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
it_ross

Post by it_ross »

Thank you guys for the replies!
D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 15:33 Wacom makes you pay $500 extra for the stand ?!!
The Cintiq Pro 24 only includes the two little pop-out legs on the upper backside of the tablet. I don't think those would be sufficient for me. If you want anything more, then yes, Wacom does make you pay either $500 for the Ergo Stand or $380 for the Flex Arm.

In a similar vein to the link in slowtiger's reply, I would probably try to create a custom solution (I don't need all of the flexibility and convenience of the Ergo Arm, just something to hold the darn thing up), and if I spend a lot of time using the tablet, maybe I would invest in a less DIY solution in the future, such as the Ergo Stand.

Ahh! I'm still torn between the 16 and the 24 though!
BillyHadaTVPaint

Post by BillyHadaTVPaint »

I always desired to use the Wacom cintiq pro 24 and because I know it works wonderings on ]TVPaint, but the 24 inch is pretty big. If it's your workhorse I think 24 inch is ideal. but 12 inches or smaller with a screen seems to do well for me since you can zoom in.
La La La, the ding ding rings with color
kiyaa

Post by kiyaa »

I have a cintiq 16 and Cintiq pro 24. There’s something about the 16 that is friendlier to the body when needing to reach both keyboard and maybe mouse sometimes, but I find that 16 is too small for tvpaint because I like to keep the timeline quite visible, taking a third of the height of the screen, which makes everything cramped on the 16. So I’d go for the cintiq pro 24. I use the wacom flex arm now but previously, for 2 years I propped it up with two towers of books holding up each leg and worked well enough. But now I’m happy with the flexarm because I can even work standing sometimes. Just to know if you can delay the stand purchase so you don’t bleed so much in a very short time,
Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7 Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Max, 32GB Memory
TVPaint Professional 11 Wacom Cintiq Pro 24
pj668

Post by pj668 »

Personally I prefer the Cintiq 16 but I also use dual monitors. Bear in mind that even the 16 that is not very portable as it is pretty big and heavy (about 2kg / 4lbs)
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I guess you already settled for one or the other, but maybe it helps some other people with a similar problem:
My main Cintiq is a 22HD, which is perfectly fine. I don't even need that much drawing surface (but that probably comes down to drawing style I guess). I also use a Mobile Studio 16, which is great and used a Cintiq Companion 2 and a Cintiq 12wx. The 12wx was a pain in the arse, but mainly cause it resolution was to small. So I constantly had to use (the non exisIting) full screen key to get all the menus out of the way.
16 is probably perfectly fine, if you don't plan to use it as your main display for all other computer related stuff.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Amelia10

Post by Amelia10 »

BillyHadaTVPaint wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 05:06 I always desired to use the Wacom cintiq pro 24 and because I know it works wonderings on ]TVPaint, but the 24 inch is pretty big. If it's your workhorse I think 24 inch is ideal. but 12 inches or smaller with a screen seems to do well for me since you can zoom in.
If you do most of your work in TVPaint, and you're comfortable with zooming in to see details, would you recommend the Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 or the Pro 24? I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks