Where's my George?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
slowtiger

Where's my George?

Post by slowtiger »

Have to ask again: in none of my TVP installations (10 and 11) on none of my Macs there's a George folder with the scripts in TVP/contents/resources as indicated in the manual, nor anywhere else. A search over the whole machine gives nada, zilch. What?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Svengali

Re: Where's my George?

Post by Svengali »

Saw your previous post with the same question... :? :?:

I use windows, so I can't suggest any reason for the lack of a GEORGE subfolder on your TVPaint install.

But wondered, when you download and install a .tvpx file from the forum where one of the custom buttons calls a script, where does the GEORGE (.grg) script get placed?

I'd think anyone using the Mac who creates or uses GEORGE scripts should be able to answer your question.

The Documentation section on GEORGE says:
George scripts can be located anywhere in your computer. However, when you export a custom panel (as seen in lesson 11), the scripts are located in the directory :
C:/program files/TVPaint Animation 11 Pro/George (Windows)
/Users/<username>/tvp animation 11 pro/<configuration name>/George (Apple OS-X)
/home/<username>/.tvp/tvp animation 11 pro/<configuration name>/George (Linux)
sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

In my TVPaint folder (in Library) here is what I see inside the George folder:
George folder TVPaint.png

But I think you mean something else ...

slowtiger wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 19:19 a George folder with the scripts in TVP/contents/resources as indicated in the manual, nor anywhere else.

If you mean looking inside the TVPaint/Contents/Resources I can confirm there is no george folder with george scripts. Where is this mentioned in the user manual?
( I can't find it. The user manual search function seems to be disabled at the moment)

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 5.33.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 5.33.05 PM.png (78.32 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Good catch David, my mistake on Tiger's question. Hmm. I know I've seen a few GEORGE sample scripts somewhere on the site. I'll take a look around and report back where they might be found.

sven

EDIT: the only sample GEORGE script I could find was one called Clock.grg in the Documentation:

SECTION: The Advanced Functions of TVPaint Animation
SUBSECTION: How to use the "George" scripting language
SUBSUBSECTION: An Example of a Program Written in George.

It is a rather odd script that demonstrates how the Param CIRCLE command initiates the script's drawing of an analog clock with an hour hand and minute hand showing the correct time (the initial circle drawn by the user becomes the positioned face of the clock drawn by the GEORGE script). However, the Circle.grg script is usefully documented.

The whole SUBSECTION: How to use the "George" scripting language looks like it was brought into the online Documentation by someone without much thought or effort to update it or make it useful to persons wanting to learn GEORGE.

Another SUBSUBSECTION titled A few examples of George scripts, shows the results of the few scripts... but neglects to show the actual, promised script examples.

On a related note, some form of the original GEORGE script information remains at the Wiki.TVPaint.com section on GEORGE.

I think it would be constructive to list a handful of well-commented scripts that actual demonstrate useful tasks in TVPaint. These examples might encourage artists to jump into GEORGE scripting that helps them customize and enhance TVPaint to suit their own workflows.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Here's what the TVP 10 manual says:
tvp10_george_loc.png
tvp10_george_loc.png (12.79 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
- but there is no George at this location.

This is what the TVP 11 manual says:
tvp11_george_loc.png
tvp11_george_loc.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
- but again, there's no George there. Furthermore, the whole path is incorrect, it should be /users/<username>/library/tvp animation 11/

I searched both Macs for anything named George - no result. I also searched for the .grg file extension - only some showed up which were included in custom panels I downloaded from the forum. There's also nothing showing up when I edit a custom panel, and "add new line > list" crashes TVP.

So can somebody please tell me where this mythical folder full of George scripts is? Where do you scripters store your scripts, do you all work on Windows?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5