Wacom driver and Hover right click problems on Mac and Windows (Sub-Pixel and other issues)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Re: Wacom driver and Hover right click problems on Mac and Windows (Sub-Pixel and other issues)

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 15:55
D.T. Nethery wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 15:36 Except that driver 6.3.46-1 does not support all older Wacom hardware, so if you are like me, trying to squeeze a few more years out of a 12 year old Wacom Cintiq 21UX, the end-of-the-line is driver 6.3.38-3 ... or maybe driver 6.3.40-2 if you don't use Express Keys , because a Known Issue for driver 6.3.40-2 is "When activating a keystroke assigned to a button (holding down an ExpressKey or pen button assigned to activate the Option key, for example), the keystroke improperly releases, even when you continue to hold down the ExpressKey or pen button." and also: "Straight line segments are present at the start of a stroke in some applications."

However, the release notes for driver 6.3.46-1 says that it does support Wacom Cintiq 22 , which is the model that Soom lists in his profile , so he should be ok with driver 6.3.46-1 .
Yes you're right, I didn't go into the details.

The only thing I can tell is : the latest Wacom driver works on a Mac M1 and TVPaint (Wibu). But if your drawing device is not supported anymore by Wacom, then it becomes a new experience !
If you prefer to keep your old drawing device, then maybe you could look for a refurbished Apple computer on Intel ?
Yes, that's what I'm using now , a 2018 Mac Mini (Intel).

Another option for older Wacom hardware is to use the app Connect My Tablet - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/connect-m ... 6344?mt=12
"Connect My Tablet connects your Wacom (TM) tablet to your Mac and restores at least its critical functionality to be creative with Photoshop (TM) and other programs in Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, HighSierra, Sierra and El Capitan. For many models and macOS versions, the Wacom preference pane, and therefore most previous functionality, will be working again."

Also these reworked Wacom drivers distributed on GitHub- https://github.com/thenickdude/wacom-driver-fix

"Wacom's macOS drivers for Bamboo, Graphire, Intuos 1, 2 & 3 and Cintiq 1st gen tablets have bugs in them that cause them to completely fail to start on macOS 10.15 Catalina and later versions (including 11 Big Sur and 12 Monterey). This doesn't apply to the Windows driver, or to the drivers for their newer tablets.

When you try to open the Wacom preference pane with a Bamboo tablet, you'll get an error message saying "Waiting for synchronization", then finally "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver". For an Intuos 3 or Cintiq 1st gen tablet, the preference pane will open, but clicking anything will cause it to crash with the message "There was an error in Wacom Tablet preferences." For Graphire and Intuos 1 & 2 tablets, the driver's installer couldn't even run on Catalina.

Thankfully I was able to track down the issues and I have patched the drivers to fix them!"

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Soom

Re: Wacom driver and Hover right click problems on Mac and Windows (Sub-Pixel and other issues)

Post by Soom »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 15:36 Except that driver 6.3.46-1 does not support all older Wacom hardware, so if you are like me, trying to squeeze a few more years out of a 12 year old Wacom Cintiq 21UX, the end-of-the-line is driver 6.3.38-3 ... or maybe driver 6.3.40-2 if you don't use Express Keys , because a Known Issue for driver 6.3.40-2 is "When activating a keystroke assigned to a button (holding down an ExpressKey or pen button assigned to activate the Option key, for example), the keystroke improperly releases, even when you continue to hold down the ExpressKey or pen button." and also: "Straight line segments are present at the start of a stroke in some applications."

However, the release notes for driver 6.3.46-1 says that it does support Wacom Cintiq 22 , which is the model that Soom lists in his profile , so he should be ok with driver 6.3.46-1 .
Yes, that's what's I'm afraid of. I have also an Intuos 4 tablet, and I love it, but I think it will not work with the newest drivers also... this is so annoying...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Soom

Post by Soom »

Ok, I have finally upgraded to Mac OS 12.5 Monterey, Wacom driver 6.3.46-1 - I can confirm that all problems I had on Mac so far are gone. Even when right clicking to erase while hovering - it all works very well now and no ghost strokes are produced.
Windows I will have to check later.
The sad part - my Intuos 4 and Bamboo tablets are not working anymore - meaning I need to buy new devices, and this is an increasingly annoying marketing strategy by tech giants!
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Soom wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 21:21 The sad part - my Intuos 4 and Bamboo tablets are not working anymore - meaning I need to buy new devices, and this is an increasingly annoying marketing strategy by tech giants!
So true ! :cry: Money hungry companies. All my Wacom devices still work - Intuos 3, Intuos 5 , Cintiq 21UX - there is nothing physically wrong with the hardware,but if Wacom won't update the drivers to be compatible with new MacOS then the tablets are useless. (or Apple makes so many drastic changes to the operating system code it's difficult or impossible to update the drivers.)

But there are some workarounds available for older tablets:

Connect My Tablet - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/connect-m ... 6344?mt=12
"Connect My Tablet connects your Wacom (TM) tablet to your Mac and restores at least its critical functionality to be creative with Photoshop (TM) and other programs in Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, HighSierra, Sierra and El Capitan. For many models and macOS versions, the Wacom preference pane, and therefore most previous functionality, will be working again."

Also , there are these reworked Wacom drivers distributed for free on GitHub - https://github.com/thenickdude/wacom-driver-fix

Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 07 Sep 2022, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I was able to resurrect my old Sapphire tablet on my 10.15 iMac with one of those fixed drivers, although it's not really supported. Can't adjust anything, can't scale tablet to screen, but still way better than woking with no tablet at all, and much nore comforting to my hand. On that iMac I only run Moho, not drawing anything.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Soom wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 21:21 The sad part - my Intuos 4 and Bamboo tablets are not working anymore - meaning I need to buy new devices, and this is an increasingly annoying marketing strategy by tech giants!
Have you tried this ? https://support.wacom.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0006336422
Soom

Post by Soom »

Xavier wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 08:31
Have you tried this ? https://support.wacom.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0006336422
unfortunately this article says that for Intuos 4 I just need to use an older Wacom driver, but these drivers don't work on OS Monterey. I am trying the Open Tablet Driver from GitHub, but the pressure sensitivity doesn't work there...