Problem with Export Custom Panel as TVPX

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Problem with Export Custom Panel as TVPX

Post by D.T. Nethery »

There is something buggy going on with exporting a Custom Panel as TVPX .

When I export a Custom Panel as TVPX I sometimes (not always) get an error message saying: "Error while creating TVPX. Export Failed"

TVPaint_Custom_Panel_Export_Failed.png
TVPaint_Custom_Panel_Export_Failed.png (6.99 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

However, when I click OK , and then look for the file in the place I exported it, the .TVPX file is there and it will open correctly in TVPaint.

Sometimes it saves the TVPX file without the error message popping up. This behavior comes and goes. It's hard to pin down what triggers it, to determine why it happens sometimes , but not always.

This behavior occurs in both 11.7 and 11.7.1 . However, this behavior with the error message "Error while creating TVPX. Export Failed" does not happen in 11.5 .

--------

Another bug I have noticed when exporting a Custom Panel as TVPX is that the name of the Custom Panel is displayed incorrectly. Instead of the name of the Custom Panel it shows the name of the previously exported file, so I have to manually correct it by re-typing the name of the file before saving it. (I believe I have reported this bug before. It occurs in 11.5, 11.7, and 11.7.1)

These screenshots show what happens when saving the Custom Panel as TVPX:

Let's say I create a new Custom Panel and I give it the name Custom Panel 25. Then I click on Export as TVPX .

TVPaint Export Custom Panel as TVPX_Step_1.png
TVPaint Export Custom Panel as TVPX_Step_1.png (26.13 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Then click Save To ... to set the location where the TVPX file will be saved.

TVPaint Export Custom Panel as TVPX_Step_2.png
TVPaint Export Custom Panel as TVPX_Step_2.png (37.21 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

But when the Save As window opens there is a problem. The name of the file is the name of whatever file I had previously saved , instead of being assigned the name of the current file I'm saving.

Custom Panel shows name of PREVIOUS Export.png
Custom Panel shows name of PREVIOUS Export.png (60.98 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

So now I must stop and manually type in the correct name before saving it. The expected behavior is that TVPaint will automatically assign the name of the Custom Panel being saved , instead of the name of the previously saved file. (this bug exists going back to at least version 11.5 and has been reported before).

Manually rename panel with correct name.png
Manually rename panel with correct name.png (47.61 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Re: Problem with Export Custom Panel as TVPX

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry or Dean - are you able to duplicate the two bugs (described above) with exporting Custom Panel as TVPX on your end ?

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hello David,

I've seen the first bug appear from time to time, but this is quite random and I don't have a way of replicating it every time.
However, I've did a few tests, and I can reproduce the second one easily.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 08:18 Hello David,

I've seen the first bug appear from time to time, but this is quite random and I don't have a way of replicating it every time.
However, I've did a few tests, and I can reproduce the second one easily.
This user, Title In Large, reports the first issue is happening ”100% of the time”.

viewtopic.php?p=132180#p132180
BUG:
Exporting a custom panel as a TVPX crashes the software!
The file is luckily created where you save it to, but the application seems to suddenly die. I've tested this extensively and it 100% happens to me each time. I'm unsure if this was the case on versions below 11.7 as well. [EDIT: The file is corrupted. Upon opening it, it says "Bad file".

For me it is not happening 100% of the time ,but frequently enough to be noticeable.

The second issue with the exported Custom Panel being named incorrectly seems related to another issue I reported here:

Export FX Stack bin is named incorrectly-
viewtopic.php?t=15321

Matthieu confirmed the bug and has added it to the bug list, but because it seems so similar to the problem with custom panel being named incorrectly I wanted to point it out so both problems can get resolved. (If indeed ,as I suspect, that they have the same origin)

Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

The second issue with the exported Custom Panel being named incorrectly seems related to another issue I reported here:

Export FX Stack bin is named incorrectly-
viewtopic.php?t=15321

Matthieu confirmed the bug and has added it to the bug list, but because it seems so similar to the problem with custom panel being named incorrectly I wanted to point it out so both problems can get resolved. (If indeed ,as I suspect, that they have the same origin)
I suspect this is indeed the case too. I have experienced other naming issues when doing other kinds of exports (palettes for example). Maybe all of those problems can be solved at once. I have added your remarks regarding the Custom Panels' names to the bug I had already reported, thanks!