TVP Crashes when I try to make a new file

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ByrdieRose

TVP Crashes when I try to make a new file

Post by ByrdieRose »

Hi all,
Today I tried opening a new file on TVP - the program opened fine. However, when I tried to create a new file and change the resolution of the untitled file I opened, the program crashed. I then updated the software to 11.7 (I was using 11.5), but when I tried the same thing, the program crashed again. I am able to open other files and save files, but can't create new ones without it crashing.

My computer produces the following in the terminal window when the crash happens
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 2.25.39 pm.png
Is anyone else having a similar problem? What should I do about this?

Thanks,
Bree
D.T. Nethery

Re: TVP Crashes when I try to make a new file

Post by D.T. Nethery »

ByrdieRose wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 03:30 Hi all,
Today I tried opening a new file on TVP - the program opened fine. However, when I tried to create a new file and change the resolution of the untitled file I opened, the program crashed. I then updated the software to 11.7 (I was using 11.5), but when I tried the same thing, the program crashed again. I am able to open other files and save files, but can't create new ones without it crashing.

My computer produces the following in the terminal window when the crash happens
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 2.25.39 pm.png

Is anyone else having a similar problem? What should I do about this?

Thanks,
Bree

I haven't experienced that issue you describe, where the software will open and will allow you to open previously created files, but won't allow you to create a new file.

Are you running TVPaint 11.7 or 11.7.1 ? (11.7 was released Dec. 7, 2022, 11.7.1 was Dec. 22, 2022)

Which version of MacOS ? Is your computer an Intel Mac or one of the newer M1 Macs ?

(this information might help the developers track down what is causing the problem)

When odd things like this happen the first thing I would suspect is a corrupted configuration. Try creating a fresh configuration. In the Start Up tab in the Preferences set it to Open Start Up Panel (if you don't already have it set to Open Start Up Panel). Now Quit and Restart TVPaint . When the Start Up Panel appears, click on New Configuration. Name and date your new config. See if the same problem occurs when you use the new config. If the problem doesn't occur , then your previous config file is probably corrupted.

You might also want to consider deleting the old configuration if it's corrupted. Be sure that before you delete the old config that you have backed up any of your Custom Panels and customized Keyboard Shortcuts, so you can restore your Custom Panels to your new configuration.

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.02.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.02.15 AM.png (39.34 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.07.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.07.39 AM.png (29.75 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1