Setup with PSD files

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Simon W Edmondson

Setup with PSD files

Post by Simon W Edmondson »

TVP standard 11.7, Imac, OSX Catalina

The current project involves working with 1/24 scale models, photo background and TVP for the drawn elements.
The model photos were split into layers, to then be imported as separate layers in TVP.
However, when I try to import the PSD files, they come in as a new project rather than as separate layers in the existing project.
If a file is copied from the 'new, psd' project then pasted into the intended project, it comes in at the wrong scale.
If I try to adjust the scale to fit, the new layer has been 'cut off' were it arrived over the edges of the frame.'
Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 21.14.36.png
Pardon my lack of knowledge but,is there a way to prevent this happening, and allow me to import the photoshop files within the intended project, and then be able to scale them to fit?

The only way I can see at the moment is to, down scale them in Photoshop first, then import them into TVP. That would be rather long winded and tedious but, doable if no other method available.
Thank you for your time and help.
simon
D.T. Nethery

Re: Setup with PSD files

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Simon W Edmondson wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 20:41 TVP standard 11.7, Imac, OSX Catalina

The current project involves working with 1/24 scale models, photo background and TVP for the drawn elements.
The model photos were split into layers, to then be imported as separate layers in TVP.
However, when I try to import the PSD files, they come in as a new project rather than as separate layers in the existing project.
If a file is copied from the 'new, psd' project then pasted into the intended project, it comes in at the wrong scale.
If I try to adjust the scale to fit, the new layer has been 'cut off' were it arrived over the edges of the frame.'
Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 21.14.36.png

Pardon my lack of knowledge but,is there a way to prevent this happening, and allow me to import the photoshop files within the intended project, and then be able to scale them to fit?

The only way I can see at the moment is to, down scale them in Photoshop first, then import them into TVP. That would be rather long winded and tedious but, doable if no other method available.
Thank you for your time and help.
simon

Yes, PSD files imported into TVPaint will always come in as a New Project , rather than as layers in an existing project.

One way you could get around that is to export each layer from your Photoshop file as a PNG (with transparent alpha channel) , then import each PNG as a new layer in your existing project.
But that is rather tedious to export each layer separately as a PNG (especially if you have many layers in the PSD file)
Simon W Edmondson wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 20:41 If a file is copied from the 'new, psd' project then pasted into the intended project, it comes in at the wrong scale.
Here is how you could make this work:

For the sake of illustration, I'll assume that the scale (resolution) of your PSD file is larger than the TVPaint project , so let's say your PSD file is 5760 x 3240 and your TVPaint file is 2048 x 1152.
(Note: your Photoshop project and your TVPaint project can be different pixel resolutions , but need to be the same aspect ratio to make this work properly . In this case both 5760 x 3240 and 2048 x 1152 are 16:9/1.78:1 aspect ratio.)

1.) import your PSD file which will bring it in as a new project. (resolution of project is 5760 x 3240 , like the original PSD file)

2.) Select all the layers and right-click, then from the drop-down menu chose Copy Selected Layers.

TVPaint_Copy_Selected Layers.png
TVPaint_Copy_Selected Layers.png (48.26 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

3.) Now go to your other project (the one that is 2048 x 1152) and make a New Layer, select that new layer and right-click on it. From the menu choose Paste Layers (replace).

TVPaint_Paste_Layers_Replace.png
TVPaint_Paste_Layers_Replace.png (26.78 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

4.) When you do this you should get a pop-up saying: "The size of the images you want to paste is different from the size of the project. Do you want to resize the images? "

Select Stretch Size.

Resize pasted images.png
Resize pasted images.png (12.42 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

5.) now it should resize the layers to fit inside your project at the correct scale.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Simon W Edmondson

Thank you very much indeed for your help and reply, most welcome. I shall try that out this afternoon.

The shots of the model car were done in Dragonframe using a Canon 500D and RAW, so the ratio was 3:2.
The background is a panorama at 9759x3454.
The TVP project is 3840x2160.
That is were the problem starts.
regards
simon
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Simon W Edmondson wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 11:06 The background is a panorama at 9759x3454.
The TVP project is 3840x2160.
That is were the problem starts.

Yes, that will be more of a challenge, trying to reconcile projects with different aspect ratios. There is really no way to force an image that is proportioned at 9759x3454 to fit comfortably inside a 3840x2160 composition if you want to keep the entire image of the original panoramic project visible. If you try the procedure I outlined above then when you resize the panoramic image to fit inside the 3840 x 2160 project it will "squeeze" the image so that it is distorted. Obviously that's not what you want.

You could try this alternative procedure:

1.) Import your panoramic 9759x3454 Photoshop file into TVPaint. It opens as a new project. Name it and save it .

2.) So now you have two projects open : Project #1 - the imported Photoshop file (9759x3454 ) and Project #2 - your TVPaint project (3840x2160).

3.) go to the TVPaint project sized at 3840x2160. Open the FX Stack > KeyFramer . In the Source tab select Project > Project 1_Panoramic_9759x3454.
Now you will see the panoramic project visible inside the 3840x2160 canvas. Of course, it will be overscaled and cut-off, so now switch to the Position tab
of the KeyFramer to use the Keyframer Z coordinate to rescale/reposition the image to fit inside the smaller 3840 x 2160 window. Of course, parts of the panoramic image will be cut off , but you
can use the Keyframer X coordinate to recompose the image if you need to see more of the left side or the right side of the panoramic image , instead of having it centered.

4.) If you want to keep each layer of the original panoramic project on it's own layer inside the 3840x2160 composition then you will need to repeat this procedure for however many layers are in the source image. For simplicity , I used only two layers in my example shown below, but it can be as many layers as you have in your original source image. Turn OFF all layers except the first layer. Follow the steps above , then make a new layer in the 3840x2160 project, then go back over to the 9759x3454 source project and turn off the first layer, turn on the next layer , then repeat the steps for importing it into the 3840x2160 project using the Keyframer. And so forth , until you have brought in all your layers from the source project.

This is what you'll see when you import the Photoshop project into TVPaint:
Imported Panoramic PSD file 9759x3454.jpg
(click on any of these images to see them full size)

Now switching to your smaller 3840x2160 project, use the Keyframer to bring over the source image:
Use Keyframer with Panoramic BG as Source.jpg

Scale down the panoramic source image with the Keyframer to fit inside the 3840x2160 window:
Panoramic image scaled down with Keyframer.jpg

You can also use the Keyframer to reposition the image to the left or the right of center:
Panoramic Image repositioned with KeyFramer.jpg

You can repeat this procedure for each layer in the panoramic source image to bring in each layer on it's own
separate layer in the 3840x2160 project:
Automobile layer brought in on separate layer.jpg
BG layer brought in on separate layer.jpg

------

If you know that the composition will be centered (cutting off the far left and far right sides of the panoramic background) I would think it would be simpler to just Duplicate the original image in Photoshoop, then Crop it to 16:9 aspect ratio, then import that cropped 16:9 version of the Photoshop file into TVPaint, then use the previous method of selecting all layers, Copy layers, then Paste layers (replace) into a new layer within your 3840 x 2160 project , choosing to resize the image when you are prompted by the pop-up message: "The size of the images you want to paste is different from the size of the project. Do you want to resize the images? "
Crop image to 16-9 aspect ratio before importing to TVPaint.png

Simon W Edmondson

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 16.17.00.png
Terrific. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
Did you happen to have a Fiat 500 to hand or is it something you are working on yourself ?

I followed your earlier advice and now have the car in the landscape ready to start drawing in the figure.
Made the mistake initially of trying to do it with the transform tool, until I noticed the option of of using the dialog boxes to input more precise figures.
However, Once the first layer was correctly scaled and positioned on X and Y co ordinates, is it possible to fix that on a global value because, if I change them again the input figures become relative to the current values rather than the initial ones ?
So, if it was imported at 100%, then scaled down to 45%, X350,Y750. That seems to become the new total values (?) so, what was 45% of first input, is now regarded as 100% and further changes are relative to that.
Also, when trying to position the different layers correctly on top of each other, they don't seem to require the same input values as each other, even though they were lined up in PS. 45% should be 46% on the second layer for example.
That could easily be operator error on my part though.
Thank you.
regards
simon
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Simon W Edmondson wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 15:18 Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 16.17.00.png

Terrific. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
Did you happen to have a Fiat 500 to hand or is it something you are working on yourself ?
Good. I'm glad that helped. I just grabbed the Fiat image and the City background image from the internet using Image Search, put them together in Photoshop at the dimensions you had mentioned previously (9759 x 3454) , then imported the PSD file into TVPaint.
Simon W Edmondson wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 15:18 I followed your earlier advice and now have the car in the landscape ready to start drawing in the figure.
Made the mistake initially of trying to do it with the transform tool, until I noticed the option of of using the dialog boxes to input more precise figures.
However, Once the first layer was correctly scaled and positioned on X and Y co ordinates, is it possible to fix that on a global value because, if I change them again the input figures become relative to the current values rather than the initial ones ?
So, if it was imported at 100%, then scaled down to 45%, X350,Y750. That seems to become the new total values (?) so, what was 45% of first input, is now regarded as 100% and further changes are relative to that.
Also, when trying to position the different layers correctly on top of each other, they don't seem to require the same input values as each other, even though they were lined up in PS. 45% should be 46% on the second layer for example.
That could easily be operator error on my part though.
Thank you.
regards
simon

Are you using the Transform Tool or the FX Stack KeyFramer Tool for rescaling and repositioning the layers ?

I'm going to assume you are using the Transform Tool. (let me know if I'm wrong about that).

So let's say I have Object A , Object B, Object C (all on separate layers) and I want to apply identical scaling and reposition to each layer with the Transform Tool. Set the scale and position on the first layer (Object A) , now in the Transform Tool window change Apply On to All Layers (or Selected Layers). Then when you click on Apply (or hit Return/Enter key on your keyboard) this should apply the same amount of scaling and repositioning (X and Y) to all of the layers (or all of the selected layers, as the case may be)

TVPaint_Apply_Transform_on_ALL_Layers.png
TVPaint_Apply_Transform_on_ALL_Layers.png (19.93 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

The same thing can be done with the KeyFramer Tool in the FX Stack.
TVPaint_KeyFramer_Apply_To_Current_Color_Group.jpg

See attached screencapture videos.

The video 'TVPaint_Transform Layers with Keyframer.mov' shows rescaling/repositioning the layers with the KeyFramer.
The video 'TVPaint Transform All Selected Layers.mov' shows rescaling/repositioning with the Transform Tool.

The advantage to the KeyFramer method is that you can SAVE the move coordinates in the FX Bin , so it may be reapplied later to another layer that you want to apply the exact same amount of rescaling and repositioning on.

Attachments
TVPaint_Transform_Layers_with_Keyframer.mov
(29.37 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
TVPaint_Transform All Selected Layers.mov
(14.75 MiB) Downloaded 166 times

Simon W Edmondson

Thank you very much indeed for for your very helpful reply.
You were correct in assuming it was the transform tool being used. I've now downloaded the two videos for future reference.
As you will have gathered, I'm only really starting to learn how to use TVP as more than a drawing program. I haven't ventured anywhere near the FX options yet. There is a long way to go !
regards
simon