Copy and Paste images from Image Library

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Copy and Paste images from Image Library

Post by D.T. Nethery »

If I have an image stored in the Image Library one way to move the image to my Project window is to use the Keyframer.

However , I would like to be able to right-click on the Image in the library , Copy , then go to a layer and Paste the image, and/or drag-and-drop the image from the Image Library window into a layer .

This is how we can do it now:

Open FX Stack > Keyframer. Set Source of Keyframer as Image Library, select the image from the Library, then click Apply FX Stack to get the image into a layer.
Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 1.08.06 PM.png

OR click on the image in the library and select "Create New Project from Image".

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 1.14.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 1.14.46 PM.png (32.33 KiB) Viewed 4692 times

But it seems that a simple Copy and Paste function should be doable. As it is now I can Copy an image from the library and Paste it into another Image Library in a different Project , but I hope it would be possible to simply Copy the image from the library and paste it into a layer in the same project. (?)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Copy and Paste images from Image Library

Post by Thierry »

I agree, this is a bit convoluted for something that should be simple.

One thing I'm wondering: if we add something a copy-paste function for images, when you paste the image, where in the drawing area should it be pasted? In the center, top-left, center-top?
What if the image is bigger than your project's dimensions?

Another way of doing it is to create a custom brush from the image and apply it in the drawing area.
That has the advantage of letting you position the image where you want it to be.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 09:21 I agree, this is a bit convoluted for something that should be simple.

One thing I'm wondering: if we add something a copy-paste function for images, when you paste the image, where in the drawing area should it be pasted? In the center, top-left, center-top?
What if the image is bigger than your project's dimensions?
The same as copy and paste a layer from another project. If the layer is not the same size as the current layer you are pasting it into you will get the pop-up saying: "The size of the image you want to paste is different from the size of the project. Do you want to resize the image?"

Or similar to when you copy and paste an image from the Clipboard. Although I just noticed something about Paste image from Clipboard: if the image is a different size than the project you are pasting it into you do not get the pop-up message asking if you want to resize it. I think when pasting an image from the clipboard the same message should appear: "The size of the image you want to paste is different from the size of the project. Do you want to resize the image?" if the image is a different size than the project. Then the user can decide to resize it or keep it the same.

Thierry wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 09:21 Another way of doing it is to create a custom brush from the image and apply it in the drawing area.
That has the advantage of letting you position the image where you want it to be.
Thank you for reminding me. I completely forgot about this option in the Image Library (even though it was right there for me to see).
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.29.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.29.13 AM.png (24.89 KiB) Viewed 4602 times

mox

Post by mox »

To be able to paste straight from clipboard would be nice too.
Of course, the instinctive way to use Library would be to click and drag pictures into projects 8)
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.1-64 bits pro)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 12:33The same as copy and paste a layer from another project. If the layer is not the same size as the current layer you are pasting it into you will get the pop-up saying: "The size of the image you want to paste is different from the size of the project. Do you want to resize the image?"
mox wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 08:32To be able to paste straight from clipboard would be nice too.
I think we can work with that.
I'll discuss this with Guillaume this afternoon to see what can be done.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 12:33Or similar to when you copy and paste an image from the Clipboard. Although I just noticed something about Paste image from Clipboard: if the image is a different size than the project you are pasting it into you do not get the pop-up message asking if you want to resize it. I think when pasting an image from the clipboard the same message should appear: "The size of the image you want to paste is different from the size of the project. Do you want to resize the image?" if the image is a different size than the project. Then the user can decide to resize it or keep it the same.
You are correct, it looks like an oversight, we'll try to add the message in a later update.
mox wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 08:32Of course, the instinctive way to use Library would be to click and drag pictures into projects 8)
I would love this as well.
Drag and drop in TVPaint is always a bit complicated, but as we're in the process of reworking a lot of things in the Library we'll see if we can do something about that.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

mox wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 08:32 To be able to paste straight from clipboard would be nice too.
Of course, the instinctive way to use Library would be to click and drag pictures into projects 8)
Indeed yes ! Click-Drag-and-Drop images from the Library into a Project would be ideal (with the pop-up option to Resize the images to the project size if they are a different size than the project).

Would another option be possible to simply REVERSE the process where an image from a layer is added to the Image Library ? As it is now if we select a layer we have the option to add an image to the library from a selected layer.

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.44.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.44.34 AM.png (23.39 KiB) Viewed 4547 times

Can it be reversed to add selected image from Image Library to a layer in the project ?

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.46.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.46.33 AM.png (28.12 KiB) Viewed 4547 times

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

That's more or less what Guillaume and I had in mind to solve the initial problem (with a message warning the user if the image is too big) :)

About the drag'n'drop: this will be complex to do but we'll try to do it.