"Gobelins : l'école de l'image" short films

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
D.T. Nethery

Re: Gobelins 2011

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote:
D.T. Nethery wrote:
Stefantchernev wrote:Hello
I have a dream to make animation .. so i really like "Who's afraid of Mr. Greedy" and can you tell me how it is made of only one program, hand made and if is what software can you tell me, except the tvpainter ? what kind of program do you use or only tvpainter :) i will be very happy :)

I believe that "Who is Afraid of Mr. Greedy" was animated traditionally with pencil on paper, then the drawings were scanned and imported into TVPaint for clean-up and coloring. (just to be clear: the software is named TVPaint Animation , not "tvpainter"
)
I confirm the workflow.
However, sometimes when the students are approaching the deathline, they draw and animate directly in TVPaint. It happened for "the king and the beaver".
http://www.gobelins.fr/galerie/LE-ROYAU ... THE-BEAVER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I don't know if it happened too for "Who is Afraid of Mr. Greedy".

nb : other stuffs I know :

"Eleanor" was a full TVPaint project.

"Fur" did use a special script of Hervé to color the lines of the characters with the same colors as the ones used in their shapes. (<< hard to explain, but tell me if you want more details, I will post a screenshot)
Yes, please. I would love to know more details about that script. Please do post the screenshot.

To me whether it's pencil drawings scanned and colored in TVPaint or drawing directly into TVPaint with Wacom tablet it's all good. I like the fact that it's possible to do a hybrid production , some traditional paper drawing, some tablet-based drawing , OR all Wacom tablet drawing if desired.
Stefantchernev

Re: Gobelins 2011

Post by Stefantchernev »

yes i will love to I'm self learning artist and more information is bather for me Thanks For the help and information :)
avishai6

Re: Gobelin's exercises...

Post by avishai6 »

BRUTALLL!
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Amazing. I would love to teach at Goeblin's for a year. Or learn! :mrgreen:
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Amazingly inspiring :D
I especially like 'Soap'
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Very inspiring - I wish I had been in that class you taught! :wink:
osX 10.7.5 intel iMac, i7MBP
TVP Pro 10.0.14
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

hehe :D

But well, we only taught them how to use the software (even if a third of the class already knew TVPaint very well). We are not... "responsible" of their incredible talent :wink:
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Ah! My pal Dave! Hello kind sir.
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

CartoonMonkey wrote:Ah! My pal Dave! Hello kind sir.
Chad! Yup. I upgraded and very happy I did so. Stand by for some daft questions. V10 has advanced quite a bit since V8...Shame I haven't :-)

Actually. I was very excited to see this 'no outline' Gobelins work. Much closer to my usual vector stuff.
Fabrice

Gobelins 2012 films (made with TVPaint)

Post by Fabrice »

I open the topic early, but after my lastest training session at Gobelins, I can say that once again most of the films this year will be done on TVPaint (both paper + TVPaint : as usual when the time is missing everything is done directly on TVPaint).
The cool thing is that it's not only the 3rd years films, but also the Annecy films. :)
(ok, there is one made only with After-Effect, but all the others will be using TVPaint, more or less)
Fabrice Debarge
Sewie

Re: Gobelins 2012 films (made with TVPaint)

Post by Sewie »

Fabrice, I'm curious to know; can you tell us more about why they often choose to do the animation on paper as well at Gobelins? It seems a bit unpractical to me....
Do they find they have more control over their drawing if they use paper? Or is it hard for them to get used to the workflow in TVP?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Students animate usually on paper for several reasons :
• the traditional aspect (TVPaint is sometime frightening for newcomers and so, they need time to "accept" it in their workflow)
• teachers push students to work on paper first (probably because of the first reason :roll: )

But now, more and more students come from school where TVPaint is already used a lot (LISAA, Emile Cohl, EMCA...) and when they arrive at Gobelins, they continue to work on their favorite tool :wink:

Fabrice told me that there is a project where students completely animate on TVPaint, in particular because of a scene with many characters that was too hard to animate on paper :mrgreen:
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If I were a teacher I'd require drawing on paper first, and still besides drawing on a Cintiq. Not because one is necessarily better than the other, but because I think students should know many techniques: pencil, brush, chalk, scissors, digital, foto, video, pixellation ... Ideally they should try each at least once. Later they may settle on what they feel most comfortable with.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

This is what they said in the first years of digital calculators; that students must first understand math the traditional way before they can be allowed to "cheat" with an automated device. So much for that theory; now it is mandatory for students to buy their own calculators. My take is the opposite; start right off the bat with a tablet because it's imperative to become familiar with what you will be using for the rest of your life.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:it's imperative to become familiar with what you will be using for the rest of your life.
Let's shorten that time span to the next five years :)
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !