The Isolator! v1.4a

lemec

The Isolator! v1.4a

Post by lemec »

isolator.jpg
isolator.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 76484 times
This tool lets you isolate small segments of high-res images for faster working, and then copy the pixels right back into the original high-res image.

Please see this Tutorial Video before using!
isolatorCutBrushSettings.jpg
isolatorCutBrushSettings.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 76501 times
NB: Make sure your Cut Brush Settings have the Display button UNCHECKED!

DOWNLOAD:
isolator.tvpx
(161 KiB) Downloaded 2673 times
VERSION HISTORY:

v1.4a fixed bug with Commit not refreshing main comp display
v1.4 "Capture" and "Revert" buttons take layer blending modes into account
v1.3 "Commit and Close" button added, current layer excluded from merged image
v1.2 Recenter button added, huge speed boosts thanks to better use of ClipboardToBrush and tv_LockDisplay
v1.1 Commit, Close, Save! Button added
v1.0 Initial Release allows Grab Section, Commit and Revert
Last edited by lemec on 27 Mar 2011, 22:42, edited 6 times in total.
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Fabrice

Re: The Isolator!

Post by Fabrice »

interesting :)
Fabrice Debarge
malcooning

Re: The Isolator! v1.2

Post by malcooning »

This is a really nice idea mark.
I love the idea of reducing CPU demand from brushes by reducing project size.
I also love that it retains any layers that were added in the subcomp.
It's obviously a product evolved from well experienced time with TVP.
I'll need to see how it integrates into my workflow, but I already see how beneficial it is for large poster artwork.

One issue: when capturing, it merges all layers, but creates a duplicate of the layer which was selected before capturing. Maybe you can add a "Layer: Clear" command to the script, and this cleared layer will be used as non-destructive layer on which to apply any artwork.

P.S - I duplicated the "commit, close, save" button, but removed the "save" function. I think this will be the most useful function for me, as I don't necessarily want to save everytime, especially if the project is really large.

thanks!
lemec

Post by lemec »

Yeah, I should make it hide the current layer before doing a grab of the merged image... EDIT:DONE for v1.3

Also, the Recenter button lets you click anywhere in the subcomp to pan the region you're working on. You can even click far off-canvas!
It commits automatically prior to panning.

I added the "commit close save" function because I got so used to working on the subcomp that I totally forgot to bother with saving the larger image. Careful you don't fall into that trap!

Unfortunately the script will override the current active custombrush. I have to figure a way around this.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

lemec wrote: Unfortunately the script will override the current active custombrush. I have to figure a way around this.
Weren't there a couple of approaches to toggling back the last used tool?
i remember a script or two going around.
lemec

Post by lemec »

malcooning wrote:
lemec wrote: Unfortunately the script will override the current active custombrush. I have to figure a way around this.
Weren't there a couple of approaches to toggling back the last used tool?
i remember a script or two going around.
Oh, the isolator does toggle back to the last used tool - but the problem is that part of the scripts rely on image-based custom brushes to transfer imagery back and forth. Thus, if you have used cutbrush tools to chop out pieces of image to stamp later on, or if you've got image data saved in your Custom Brush, then that data will get overwritten by the merged image.

This is because I'm using the functions tv_imageToClipboard and tv_brushFromClipboard to grab and stamp merged imagery. I picked this method over having to merge ALL layers within the main canvas, use tv_spareCopy, or tv_layerHold, and then undo the merge. Performing full-canvas layer merges, and then undoing them on a high res image is very burdensome on the system. tv_imageToClipboard let me grab merged imagery without having to actually merge layers.

The best solution, I suppose would be if I had scripting commands to set or unset the 'Display' checkbox for tv_BrushCut. This way I wouldn't have to touch the clipboard at all, and would only have to cut or copy the pixels I needed. I couldn't even find scripting commands to crop the image (using only the current frame). There's a lot of new functionality that had to be kludged in. I'm making lemonade from the situation as best as I can.

I suppose I could add some routines to save off custom brush image data to temporary files in the hard drive prior to capturing data, but it'll cost us in terms of speed.

Too bad TVP doesn't have some sort of built-in function to cordon off a rectangular area within which all image operations are constrained.
malcooning

Re: The Isolator! v1.3

Post by malcooning »

Is there a way, maybe, to save the custom brush to the Spare before grabbing the new custom brush, and then re-grabbing it once returning to the main comp?
lemec

Post by lemec »

malcooning wrote:Is there a way, maybe, to save the custom brush to the Spare before grabbing the new custom brush, and then re-grabbing it once returning to the main comp?
Oh, even more than that! :D If the custombrush is an animbrush, the whole sequence can be saved to a *.dip (DEEP) format (among others, but this is the most "native" format). The question remains, though, which is more important? Speed and interactivity, or retaining your custombrush? Heh, it's a tough question, like asking someone if they want to lose an arm or a leg! :P

EDIT: well, I guess you'll never know unless you try... I'll try to work custombrush-saving functionality into it tomorrow.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I like it ! Thanks so much for posting this .

One suggestions: can the Capture mode for grabbing a portion of the image be a freehand select tool , instead of a square or rectangular box shape , to allow for more precise capture of complex detailed areas ?
lemec

Post by lemec »

D.T. Nethery wrote:I like it ! Thanks so much for posting this .

One suggestions: can the Capture mode for grabbing a portion of the image be a freehand select tool , instead of a square or rectangular box shape , to allow for more precise capture of complex detailed areas ?
Unfortunately, it would be really tough to do because most of TVP's scriptable image manipulation functions all work on rectangular regions.

Oh, I forgot to mention - you can have multiple Isolators open. Just remember that if you make changes in one Isolator, to use Revert on the other isolator. This is useful if you have several regions you need to work on, or if you want to work on different layers.

I must remember to make the isolated layer mode match the same layer mode as the original source layer...
lemec

Re: The Isolator! v1.4

Post by lemec »

v1.4 "Capture" and "Revert" buttons take layer blending modes into account (see first post for download link)
lemec

Re: The Isolator! v1.4a

Post by lemec »

v1.4a fixed bug with Commit not refreshing main comp display
Peter Wassink

Re: The Isolator! v1.4a

Post by Peter Wassink »

Nice one Mark! thank you for sharing.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM