Keyframer set pivot point by Click And drag

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Fabrice

Re: Keyframer set pivot point by Click And drag

Post by Fabrice »

that's indeed one of the difficulties. :)
Fabrice Debarge
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Peter Wassink wrote:
Fabrice wrote:we all know here it has been asked for a while. (at least Mirage days)
probably not that easy, or Hervé would have done it already.
as a layman i'd think it would simply be a matter of subtracting the new pivot values from the position values.
but i can imagine it might have some ramifications regarding existing keyed position values?
if you want to change for instance the pivot on a already pixeltracked path you'd have to alter hundreds of position coordinates for every single pivot alteration
so what ..?
two "add/substract values" operations, or hundred ... or even thousand ... it's only basic mathematics affordable by any cheaper computer of the market. :|
... I think we should have that as option (a button to tick on/off) :
- OFF => Moving Pivot (as we have now, gliding the content around)
- ON => Moving Pivot Compensated (keeping the content at the current position),
and of course Alt+Click&drag (or Ctrl+Click&drag) to move the pivot in the HUD.

edit : if the "Compensated" mode by adventure was to "heavy" to implement when a path is already set, make it at least possible at start, or after a FX Reset. :roll:
Last edited by ZigOtto on 30 Aug 2012, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

yeah Adobe After Effect Has Managed it for as long as i remember.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I see the problem is not the computing - that's indeed trivial. The problem is to decide if and when to recompute existing keyframes.

Don't forget that changing the pivot position is animateable. How shall the preview be updated? Will it show the new position on all keys immediately, or will it give you the choice of keeping the old pivot position on a previously set position key? Bear in mind that people not always work from the start, so they may use the default pivot on keys 1 and 12, a changed pivot in key 30, and want the original from key 50 on again. How would they tell the program? How should the program react?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

slowtiger wrote:... How should the program react?
imo exactly the same manner when you edit a key setting,
the preview is updated accordingly with the new setting, and if you navigate, the settings are updated accordingly with the previous Key or the next one,
in other words, modifying the pivot settings should work similarly as when you modify any other key setting,
and when I suggest to add an [on/off] option button, this option won't be animateable, you set it "on", or "off" for the whole FX, from start to end.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

As far as I know this feature request has not been implemented (set the Keyframe pivot point by click and drag) .

Is this still on the "To do" list ? I am asking because a student asked about it today .
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 20 Jun 2015, 13:17, edited 3 times in total.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

+1 !
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

The request is still on the Todo-list, don't worry. However the list contains other requests and bugs that are of greater importance, so please be patient :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
robin

Post by robin »

This was in 2012…
So is there a solution now ? I am trying to change the pivot point in the key framer and it still seems to be the way it was described then…
If any solution has come up, I can't find it, and I am in TVP 11 pro…
Anyone ?
Thank you:-)
Robin
Mac OS X.12.6
TVPaint animation11pro
RAM 16Go
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sadly, it is still not the case, for changing that "detail" in the keyframer is much more hazardous than we thought.
At the moment, you still have to change the position of this object around the pivot point (instead of moving the pivot point in the object) to get the result you want.
momo

Post by momo »

+1!
momo
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

The original request to easily change the pivot point in the KeyFramer by clicking and dragging the pivot point was made by Mads Juul in 2012 (see first post in this topic).

At one point in 2012 this request had been added to the developer's "To-Do List".
Fabrice wrote: 14 Jun 2012, 17:34 it's in the TODO list.
Then three years later in 2015 a post acknowledging that the request is still on the To-Do List , but that there were other improvement requests that had a higher priority on the developer's To-Do List.
Thierry wrote: 22 Jun 2015, 13:34 The request is still on the Todo-list, don't worry. However the list contains other requests and bugs that are of greater importance, so please be patient :)

Now , 8 years after the original request I'm inquiring if this request is still on the To-Do List ? Here at the end of 2020 I'm bumping up this topic again to request that the behavior of setting the Pivot Point in the KeyFramer would be improved as requested previously in 2012 and 2015. Many improvements in TVPaint have been implemented since that time, but this requested improvement would still be enormously beneficial to improving the usability of the KeyFramer.

Default pivot point in the Keyframer is centered. The feature request is to be able to click and drag the pivot point to the desired position without changing the position of the image.
reposition the Pivot Point.jpg

To illustrate the problem, see the attached screen capture video. To set the Pivot Point one must adjust the Pivot X - Y parameters in the KeyFramer FX , but doing so moves the image , not the pivot point ! Then after having set the pivot point to the desired position it is now possible to click-and-drag the image back to it's approximate original position (which is not precise, you just have to "eyeball it" to get it back to where it started) It would be so much easier and intuitive if the image stays in place and you click-and-drag the pivot point to set it to the desired position !
set pivot point TVP_Keyframer.mov
(4.19 MiB) Downloaded 938 times
https://youtu.be/1TUwAt7OkAs

-------

In another forum thread the workaround for setting up the Pivot Point mentioned by Peter Wassink works, so I wanted to mention this workaround for anyone else who happens to come across this topic. See here:

viewtopic.php?t=13627#p121057
If your FX Stack Source is a custom brush you can adjust the pivot point by creating a custom handle in the Custombrush tool panel.
That is relatively quick, albeit not pixel precise. I sometimes even go so far as to load a complete animation as a custombrush, just for this purpose.

This method does work, but I contend it would still be better if the Pivot Point could be easily adjusted in the KeyFramer parameters X-Y-Z by simply click-and-drag the pivot point to the desired position, which would allow using a Layer as the Source or an Image in the Image Library as the Source in the KeyFramer, if the Pivot Point could be set without having to shift the image around when setting the pivot point, then try to reposition the image back to it's original position after the pivot point is set.
Select_and_Cut_Image_to_Custom_Brush.jpg
Set Custom Handle Position on Custom Cut Brush.jpg
Select Custom Cut Brush as SOURCE for Keyframer.jpg
animate object from the Pivot Point of the Custom Cut Brush.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Thanks for this. I can confirm that it is still on the todo list, but so far it wasn't in the top priorities. I will keep this in mind.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Easiest for the user would be an extra button "adjust pivot"
that would let the user manually shift the pivot to a new position.

i think it makes sense that the position value gets reversely adjusted when this is done.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Since the cursor in the keyframer acts as the pivot point for all the keyframe settings, x y location, heading, pitch, bank, x scale and y scale,
the POSITIONING of the object (the door for instance) is, by necessity, a 2 step operation (resulting in placement of the first keyframe):

1. First of course, you should place the door image relative to the HOME position of the keyframer's cursor (center x and center Y) so the keyframe-animation of all the other settings will work properly.
2. Next, move the cursor to a new x y position on the screen where the door's starting location will be... so the door can be key-framed to do what it needs to do, relative to the cursor: location, heading, pitch, bank, x scale and y scale.

I guess what I am saying is that moving the cursor from its home position (0,0) is really part and parcel of the setting of the keyframes.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB