Two of my biggest TVPaint frustrations

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Joost

Two of my biggest TVPaint frustrations

Post by Joost »

Here are two of my biggest TVPaint frustrations:

1) Why does the timeline cursor (the two red lines) move automatically to the selected layer ?!
for example:
When I'm working in layer 1 frame 1 and I have to go to layer 56 around frame 146, I first search the right layer (scroll scroll scroll) and then I would like to move the timeline cursor to a frame around 146 by clicking on the timeline. But then all of a sudden the timeline is back to layer 1 and I lost sight of layer 56. So I have find the layer again.
It also happens the other way around. When I scroll to let's say frame 220 and then I want to find the right layer. If I hit any button (also the right and left arrow button), the timeline cursor switched back to the layer I was working in.

The only solution is to first click on the layer when you found the right layer to make the layer active. But a lot of times I just want to check out the frames without leaving the layer I'm working in.

I hope you understand what I mean. Because it is hard to explain this situation...

2) I asked this before but: Why is the anti aliasing still switching to 'medium' when you use the 'reset' button for the transform tool?
It is handy sometimes to use medium but it should not be the standard setting for the tool. The reset button shouldn't affect the anti aliasing in my opinion.

So please TVPaint team: solve this problem...
Or am I the only one who thinks this is annoying?...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Mads Juul

Re: Two of my biggest TVPaint frustrations

Post by Mads Juul »

Joost wrote: 1) Why does the timeline cursor (the two red lines) move automatically to the selected layer ?!
I agree the layer scrollbar should not move when moving playback head.
Joost wrote: 2) I asked this before but: Why is the anti aliasing still switching to 'medium' when you use the 'reset' button for the transform tool?
i agree. the reset button should not affect the aaliasing setting.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

madsjuul wrote:
Joost wrote: 1) Why does the timeline cursor (the two red lines) move automatically to the selected layer ?!
Joost wrote: 2) I asked this before but: Why is the anti aliasing still switching to 'medium' when you use the 'reset' button for the transform tool?
i agree. the reset button should not affect the aaliasing setting.

I also agree on both points. . Reset on transform tool should keep the previously used anti-aliasing setting .
Trumpatrick

Post by Trumpatrick »

These bug me too, especially the timeline issue. It can be hard enough already to find that single layer in your layer stack, so when you finally have it and the timeline cursor flips back to your old position in layers and time, it's immensely frustrating.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Trump, do you know know about the key command:
Layer: Pick Layer ?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

madsjuul wrote:
+1
Trumpatrick

Post by Trumpatrick »

Hi paul, yes, I know it, but in this case it's not what I want, because I don't actually want to select the layer, I just want to be in that place in the timeline, with the the non-active/non-selected layer in view in my layer panel and use the arrow keys for instance to see what's going on in my animation. I'm sorry if I was unclear in my previous post.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

2) I asked this before but: Why is the anti aliasing still switching to 'medium' when you use the 'reset' button for the transform tool?
It is handy sometimes to use medium but it should not be the standard setting for the tool. The reset button shouldn't affect the anti aliasing in my opinion.
+1!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Joost

Post by Joost »

Another frustration:

(I also posted this before)
It would be really handy when you have some frames selected in a layer, if you could move your timeline cursor (the two red lines) without deselecting those frames.
So you can see which frames you want to select without selecting them over and over again.
How tvpaint works now, when I want to select 25 frames, I have to remember exactly the first and the last frame I want to select.

It would also be very handy if you could select some extra frames by using the shift button. Now, if you make a mistake, you have to make the same selection again.
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Joost wrote:Another frustration:

(I also posted this before)
It would be really handy when you have some frames selected in a layer, if you could move your timeline cursor (the two red lines) without deselecting those frames.
So you can see which frames you want to select without selecting them over and over again.
How tvpaint works now, when I want to select 25 frames, I have to remember exactly the first and the last frame I want to select.

It would also be very handy if you could select some extra frames by using the shift button. Now, if you make a mistake, you have to make the same selection again.
+1 to both
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Soom

Post by Soom »

agree on all 3
For me it is convenient sometimes to jump back automatically to my working layer, but only in cases where I start going through the Instances with my shortcut keys. Because this is usually the moment I continue working on the animation on that layer. But for all the rest, like scrubbing the timeline, or moving around frame by frame shouldn't affect the focus of the timeline.
There might be a little button on the timeline, that takes your focus back to the layer you work on.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Joost

Post by Joost »

Why is the anti aliasing still switching to 'medium' when you use the 'reset' button for the transform tool?
The escape button will reset the transform tool without switching the anti aliasing to medium!!!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

+1 to all 3
And I would like to add two more requests:
1) I would like to be able to import footage on a new layer on any given framenumber in the timeline where the playheadcursor is.
Now the timeline cursor automatically jumps to the new layer startframe which is placed by default on frame 1 of the project.
(it means I have to mark the framenumber where I would like to be the startframe of the new footage and drag the new footage across the timeline, very timeconsuming when the new footage is only a few frames while working in a rather long timeline)
2) I would like to be able to move a layer whithout moving the playheadcursor.
Now the playheadcursor moves along with the frame is was showing of the selected layer.
Thanks!
alfatoons

Post by alfatoons »

And I would like to add two more requests:
1) I would like to be able to import footage on a new layer on any given framenumber in the timeline where the playheadcursor is.
Now the timeline cursor automatically jumps to the new layer startframe which is placed by default on frame 1 of the project.
(it means I have to mark the framenumber where I would like to be the startframe of the new footage and drag the new footage across the timeline, very timeconsuming when the new footage is only a few frames while working in a rather long timeline)
Now the playheadcursor moves along with the frame is was showing of the selected layer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree!
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I think this one was already TODO listed. Will check tomorrow. :)
Fabrice Debarge