[Android] TVPaint & Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
pew36

Re: [Android] TVPaint & Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Post by pew36 »

ok...remember that i am an animator of paper and drawn in flash so obviously i have 'its all so new' syndrome

but i think the big issue with the android version of your software is that there is a whole lot in there which doesnt need to be

i think the reality of using an android tablet is that folks need the minimum to just flesh out ideas

but since i am still learning the basics....whats the easiest way to create a new empty frame....it seems like its a two click operation with the stylus
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Hi,

if you want to add an empty frame at the end of your layer, you just have to move to the position you want and draw, the frame will be automatically created (or use the skull bones button to create a new frame without starting to draw).
If you want to add an empty frame between 2 other frames, you can use the +1 button in the Animator Panel in the "instances" section. (or use the skull bones button to create a new frame without modifying your timing).
Twig

Post by Twig »

I just want to chime in and say that I'm not with pew36's assessment about this program. I like the fact that this software package hasn't dumbed itself down, just because it's on a tablet. I like that it's full featured and it's why I'm going to buy it when it's available and I have the funds.

TVPaint literally completes my Galaxy Note 10.1, it transformed it into a workstation level tool that I use daily to sketch out ideas and digitally paint on. Even though I don't need/know of all of the features it offers, I find that whenever there's something I do need, TVPaint has it at my disposal; which if this wasn't the case, that would be a problem.

There's too many dumb apps out there already, a real application like TVPaint is a welcome change.

Anyways, thanks again for offering this beta and then extending it. :)
pew36

Post by pew36 »

i never said dumbed down....i just think there are a lot of menus on screen and a lot of tools and options which do not need to be there.

maybe there needs to be a custom layout just for 'line testing' basic animation exercises

all you would need for that is a button to create a new frame, the skull button, playback controls and a drop down for the mark making tool and lightbulb which defaulted to switch on and off for all layers rather than asking

i teach level 1 animators on paper and pencil and i can really see a viable solution in giving every single student a galaxy note 10.1 and this software....it would mean being able to take them to the theatre or the zoo and getting them to draw from life and animate right there

sure i can do that with the current version and all its bells and whistles, but when teaching animation you just need the basic interface to get them focused on the motion of their basic exercises....i would like to see an interface which closely resembled the experience of drawing on paper....maybe it is because we are tight fisted with our budgets, but the 12 field paper we buy the students doesnt have all these menus :)

paper is great...but it would be nice to be able to go and animate elsewhere from time to time
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

TVPaint offers you the possibility to create your own custom panels with any buttons you want in it. You can even export it and share it with your students.
And if you want more space ( less panels on the screen ) you can put them in the left/right bins, and you can then hide these bins.
You can hide your timeline too. So at the end you could have something like this :
Workspace.png
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

And you have "rooms", the four little buttons at bottom right.
Each one will remember one particular layout of your windows.

They where specifically designed for this.
Make a room per "step" of *your* workflow, we don't impose a workflow to you.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Feynt

Post by Feynt »

I think it's great that you're going as cross platform as you can. l recently got a Note myself, and lemec suggested I try the beta. l feel that the responsiveness is great on the Note, but it needs more "tablet-fication" before it will really work great. Things like a standard low clutter interface (like,just the canvas) and gesture controls to do things like swap colours, change tools, and undo/redo. Reliance on menus should be for complex functions like filters and import /export / saving, as well as setting up gestures for tool switching.
JayRay

Post by JayRay »

just got a Note 10.1 and I am ready to purchase the full version of this app. Any idea when the full version will be ready?
tlynx

Post by tlynx »

Hey, just a quick question. Is there any way to close splines and save them on the note 10.1? Using the stylus button doesn't seem to open the spline options. Thanks for any help you can give.
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

Hello tlynx,

We can't currently close the spline but you could apply your spline in the menu Edit>Apply, this is why TVPaint Animation 10 on Android is still in Beta version.
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
tlynx

Post by tlynx »

Either way I love this program. Been telling my friends about it. I have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard that might work for the splines.
tlynx

Post by tlynx »

I was just wondering if moving layers is possible on note 10.1 I grab the image in the timeline and drag it to where i want, but it always wants to merge layer. Also wish the tab had azimuth capabilities, but i guess I'm just getting greedy. :D
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Also wish the tab had azimuth capabilities
Hardware issue, we can't improve this unless there is a new model of tablet :)
Fabrice Debarge
SinusMagnus

Post by SinusMagnus »

hello, when i press the space bar of my bluetooth keyboard to make appear the popup menu it doesnt work, is it normal ?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

SinusMagnus wrote:hello, when i press the space bar of my bluetooth keyboard to make appear the popup menu it doesnt work, is it normal ?
I have a Galaxy Note and purchased a bluetooth keyboard to use with it. When I want the pop-up menu to appear I find I need to press and hold the spacebar first , then touch the tip of the S-pen to the timeline to make the pop-up menu appear. If I touch the timeline with the stylus first , then press the spacebar nothing happens. That may be what is happening in your case. Try it so you press and hold the spacebar , then touch the tip of the stylus to the timeline .