Change line colour

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
schwarzgrau

Re: Change line colour

Post by schwarzgrau »

Sorry Paul, I don't get the connection between your post and mine. Maybe I formulate my request a bit circuitous and now we're talking about slightly different things.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Well, then it's best to have someone directly from TVP reply, sorry.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Well, then it's best to have someone directly from TVP reply, sorry.
You answered well Paul, I have nothing more to add than it takes time.
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Maybe it has becoming a bigger confusion, cause I'm accidently started this topic in "George, SDK", while I wanted to start it in "Feature Request".
I wanted to request the a button to change the color of a layer to the A color. So you can change the color of your lines or your fill easily to another color. Maybe I should open another thread in the feature request forum?
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

Well, now you have me completely baffled; this is exactly what the script I uploaded in the third post from the top does :!:
Have you tried it at all :?:
Paul
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Of course and it's very helpfull, but as I already stated in my first post and after that around three or four times, I think It could be a feature which should be integrated in the software itself, cause only forum members can use this script. And our goal should be to help TVPaint getting better for all users, not just for the ones active in the forum :!:
Have you read one of my posts at all :?:
INSTAGRAM
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

schwarzgrau wrote: Have you read one of my posts at all :?:
:D I was thinking the same. Have you read the first post Paul?
schwarzgrau wrote:I know you can change the line colour afterwards by activatig "preserve transparency", draw a filled rectangle on the first frame, mark all frames of this layer and hit return, to apply it to all frames. After that you eventually need to recompute the heads. It's not THAT complicated and I guess I could build myself a george script to do it, but the only ones profiting from such an script would be me and some people here in the forum, what is nice for us, but the majority of TVpaint users will never use these scripts.
As I think this could be an often demanded feature, I would suggest to add this as a standard function.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Paul Fierlinger

Have I read it!? I re-read it over and over again to begin with and now I've read it again three times in a row and only understand that there should be something permanently installed in TVP that lets you change an existing color to a new color -- like a button? in parenthesis as it is my reaction to the body of text.

So I offer a button that does just that. But apparently schwarzgrau wants this to be a permanent fixture of TVPaint. Hmmm, what would that look like? I think to myself and come to the conclusion he must be asking for a button, so I offer him a button, no? Yes! Is it that he doesn't want my (yours, anyone's) button; he wants a permanent button so everyone will have it there, waiting to be pressed, and I agree.

But before this gets implemented, don't you want to use a plugin? Here I don't know if his answer is yes or no, but since it takes time to implement new features (the line is as long as an immigration line) why not feel joy that such a plugin already exists?

Do I have this right? No? Yes? I can't tell anymore.
Paul
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Sorry Paul, It was really nice to share this script with me and it's really useful. I just wanted to ask if other people in the forum and the developers might think this should be a standard function somewhere in TVPaint. But it seems I accidently started this thread in the "George, SDK" section, why it leads to all this confusion I guess.
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

OK, and I just read your new thread so it is good to know that I understood you all along. Sandra and I have been asking of TVP the same question for years now, but this is what we've been told: It's not at all as easy as it seems at first glance. So what do I know about programming and I can accept that answer every time it gets thrown at me.

So we asked dhomas trenn aka youngmonkey for it many moons ago and he came up with the most perfect button (BTW, he said it wasn't as easy as he thought it would be). But his button doesn't work anymore as TVP has developed into a different program to keep up with computer OS developments (this is the worst downside of plugins -- they are a flash in the sky and can burn out fast if the script writer loses interest and stops updating it).

We asked for our color changer again and were told it's in the FX stack now, and yes, I know it is, and only sort of because it lacks the one click simplicity of our plugin button. Then we asked Mads and Svengali if they would be willing to help us out and they both agreed that it's not as simple as it seems but the two of them finally worked it out -- (I think the one I offered here is a result of the collaboration between both of these demigods of scripting).

In TVP a user request of this nature gets implemented differently than a plugin maker would approach it, simply because TVP wants to know that the effort that goes into programming a new feature will serve more purposes than just one. Thus the feature one day indeed appears in the FX stack (or elsewhere; sometimes as a whole new panel) but this takes several clicks to get what the plugin's elegant one click could do. I have sympathy for that way of thinking as well, so I write this post in praise and gratitude of our script writers.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I neglected to note which part of the FX stack I had in mind: it's Color replacer and works very well. Sandra reminds me now, that the Matte Layer plugin serves a bit different purpose, which is that it turns the entire character into one color no matter how many colors have been used on it for those cases where she needs to create color silhouettes as a single color base to add layers of transparent colors on top of. It just happens to serve as a line color changer too. TVP's color replacer will instantly replace one color with another in all frames at the same time. So this is indeed a good example of how TVP made one idea work in more than one way.
Paul
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

If it needed Svengali and Mads to write this script I guess I never had managed to write something similar. And don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the effort of the people writing this scripts and I'm more than thankful, that they spending their time helping us do things faster and better. But as I said some of this features would be a great enhancement in TVPaint for all of the users.
INSTAGRAM
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

The script Mads and Svengali wrote stopped working for me in TVP 11. Is it the script or just me?
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

As I posted a little earlier, this will become tricky -- it's the nature of switching between beasts. What everyone needs to do is save every plugin all over again and individually back onto your HDs. The idea to make plugins continue their services they need to be saved out of TVP 11. Having saved them earlier in TVP 10 and finding they still work in TVP 11 is no guarantee they will continue working forever -- after a few days, one after another they cop-out. Hopefully, you'll be able to find another fresh version of that plugin (or if not, find someone who can send one to you) and save it out of your TVP 11 after you have imported it so that you'll have it stored in your Custom Panels section and also somewhere on your HD. I keep mine in a folder inside of TVPaint Dveleopement's folder (but not inside of the TVPaint 11 folder, which will change with each upgrade).
Paul
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Yea I did that and the script still works, I just forgotten that I need to mark the frame.
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

:D Well, it doesn't hurt to have this posted again. BTW, it's necessary to do this all over again with every upgrade. I'm with you that I'd like to see more of the really popular ones hardwired into TVP; some have worked their way in, but not enough of them, in my opinion.
Paul