SavePlace ReLoadPlace Button Set

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
Svengali

SavePlace ReLoadPlace Button Set

Post by Svengali »

SavePlace ReLoadPlace.jpg
SavePlace ReLoadPlace.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 7452 times
(Inspired by a feature request by Mads Juul << HERE >> ) This button pair lets you save the current place in a Project and reload to that same place at a later time.

Example:

You have a Previously Saved Project open displaying a specific image on screen. You press the SavePlace button and information about the Current Project Name, Current Clip, Current Layer, Current Frame is saved to the Config.ini file.

NOTE: The SavePlace button only works with Projects that have already been named and saved at least once and you will be warned if it was not yet saved...

At any point in the future, even after exiting and reopening TVPaint, you can immediately press the ReLoadPlace button to access the saved info from the Config.ini file, which will AUTOMATICALLY RELOAD the saved Project, saved Clip, saved Layer and saved Frame. If the Project is already open but at some other location, it will jump immediately to the saved Clip, saved Layer and saved Frame location.

What Gets Saved?

The Project filename (including the complete path to the file) the number of the active Clip, the number of the active Layer and the number of the active Frame is stored as a single string parsed by spaces.

If the Project is significantly modified (Clip, Layer and/or frames are INSERTED) the the ReLoad Button might not return you to the same location that was saved.

How are the Buttons Used?
Typically, the SavePlace and ReLoadPlace buttons would be used to save your current working location, then return there when you begin working the next day. IMPORTANT: remember that the Project should already have been saved at least once, to establish the path where you want the SavePlace button to save in the future.

Future?
Ideally, as suggested by Mads, the File SAVE and LOAD commands should store and retrieve the current Clip, Layer and Frame in effect when ANY Project is saved, then offer to restore to the sameClip, Layer, Frame location when the Project is reloaded.

Sven

(Thanks Paul for testing this button set! 8) )
Attachments
Save-Reload Project-Place.tvpx
(147 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
schwarzgrau

Re: SavePlace ReLoadPlace Button Set

Post by schwarzgrau »

Thank you svengali this is a great timesaver till the feature gets added
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I just love the way it works because it doesn't just help me to get quickly to my last worked on place upon opening TVP, but I continue to use it as I work back and forth along my timeline. Very useful indeed.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I just found a way to take this to the last step and make the plugin not just take me to the very last frame I had ended with, but spread out the timeline to "fit the frame" because that still had to be done manually every single time I used the plugin. I added Key: Timeline: Fit to Frame under the .grg script in the edit mode of the tvpx and it works nicely.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
johnfromncl

Post by johnfromncl »

Hi Sven
This is brilliant. (I'm currently going through 'Contents Sharing' and picking up loads of useful information - yours is the latest gem I've come across.)
These buttons of yours solves what has been a bit of an issue for me, that I haven't been aware of being able to solve in any other simple way.
Many thanks
John
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). 3.8 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i7, 128GB 2667 MHz DDR4. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.
TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (11.5.2-64 bits).
Wacom Cintiq pro 24". Driver using 6.3.43-3 (avoiding 6.3.44-1)
John from Newcastle, johnfromncl Updated 2021-09-24
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

John, thank you for the kind words...
I'm posting a little update to the SavePlace ReloadPlace button set because Paul requested that I refresh the scripts. I added a popup window for both buttons that reveal the "save&load" information as shown below.

NOTE TO TVPAINT PROGRAMMERS: The original request from Mads to add this feature to TVPaint's save and load operations really is a good one, even if only as a User's Option to have or have not:
Remember Current Clip and Current Frame in Project

Post by Mads Juul » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:36 am
If I open a previous saved project, It always opens of first frame of first Clip.

I would like that the current clip and current frame is saved when saving a project.

This means if I save a project on frame 200 in clip 20, then when I the next day opens TVPaint the project opens on frame 200 in clip number 20.

Kind Regards
-Mads
NewPlace Save&Load3.png
NewPlace Save&Load3.png (12.31 KiB) Viewed 7254 times
Save&LoadPopupdata3.png
Save&LoadPopupdata3.png (10.89 KiB) Viewed 7254 times

sven

EDIT 4/15/21: I've updated the "Save&Reload.tvpx" file so that the popup message is dismissed with a simple "click OK to continue". Please download and install this update if you installed the earlier version.
Attachments
NewPlace Save&Reload.tvpx
(147.5 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Last edited by Svengali on 16 Apr 2021, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
johnfromncl

Post by johnfromncl »

Thanks Sven
Works nicely.
I may be going over the top now, but I've placed the buttons from both of your versions into the old panel, so I can swap between or bring back two places. (Obviously, the old set does not give the location information.) I renamed slightly, so it is still just two rows of icons of space taken up.
Two locations save reload.png
Two locations save reload.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 7240 times
Those places can be in the same or different projects. I notice that the buttons will even open a project if it is not already open.
I happen to number my frames from 1 - and that would be shown as 0 by the information box that comes up. Similarly, my first layer defaults to Untitled1 - rather than 0. Similarly with clips. These are small things I can easily live with.
Thanks again
John
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). 3.8 Ghz 8-core Intel Core i7, 128GB 2667 MHz DDR4. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.
TVPaint Animation 11 Pro (11.5.2-64 bits).
Wacom Cintiq pro 24". Driver using 6.3.43-3 (avoiding 6.3.44-1)
John from Newcastle, johnfromncl Updated 2021-09-24
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Svengali wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 04:29
I'm posting a little update to the SavePlace ReloadPlace button set because Paul requested that I refresh the scripts. I added a popup window for both buttons that reveal the "save&load" information as shown below.

NOTE TO TVPAINT PROGRAMMERS: The original request from Mads to add this feature to TVPaint's save and load operations really is a good one, even if only as a User's Option to have or have not:
+1 for adding the feature to TVPaint. (in 2015 it was "To-Do" listed in the original request from Mads Juul)

In the meantime, thanks for another very useful custom panel , Svengali !

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 13:26 +1 for adding the feature to TVPaint. (in 2015 it was "To-Do" listed in the original request from Mads Juul)

In the meantime, thanks for another very useful custom panel , Svengali !
Here's what I'd like to say : I'm the mule :mrgreen:
mule-chargee.jpg
mule-chargee.jpg (45.14 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Just kidding. Thanks guys for all your contents and suggestions :wink:
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 14:55 Just kidding. Thanks guys for all your contents and suggestions :wink:
Unfortunately, you got stuck with a very long pre-existing "To Do" list. Many of these requests have been around for years , so they are not new requests, they are old requests that were "To-Do listed" , but never implemented. From time to time the same request comes up again, so some of us long-time users remember:
"Oh, yeah, whatever happened to that request ? That was a good idea."

Here's my suggestion for responding to New Feature/Improvements requests:

Response #1: "Thank you, that's an interesting idea , we will consider whether it is possible to implement it , but as of this time it is not officially on our To-Do list and we are not sure if this feature will be implemented."

This acknowledges the user's request , but no expectations are attached to the request. Everyone understands that it might be implemented in the future, it might not. Wait and see. (but feel free to ask about it again in 6 months - to - 1 year if nothing has happened ... although the answer you receive may be the same.)

Response #2 : "To-Do Listed" .

And by that , it is understood that "To-Do listed" means: "The request is doable and it will be implemented within 3 - 6 months, if not sooner." (not left dangling on the "To-Do" list for 3 - 6 years.)

If it turns out that unexpected complications arise, the topic where the request was officially "To-Do listed" can have an update posted from TVPaint that says:
"This feature request is turning out to be more difficult to implement than we expected. It is no longer on the To-Do List , although we may return to the idea at some point in the future."

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

Svengali wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 04:29 John, thank you for the kind words...

Remember Current Clip and Current Frame in Project

Post by Mads Juul » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:36 am
If I open a previous saved project, It always opens of first frame of first Clip.

I would like that the current clip and current frame is saved when saving a project.

This means if I save a project on frame 200 in clip 20, then when I the next day opens TVPaint the project opens on frame 200 in clip number 20.

Kind Regards
-Mads
NewPlace Save&amp;Load3.png
Save&amp;LoadPopupdata3.png

sven
hi! I wanted to try this out but seem to hit a bump. Whenever I click the SavePlace button, it seems to lock and freeze the program, and remain on this pop-up. I've tried clicking Enter and Esc but it didn't work--it seems to be stuck in a loop somehow so I needed to End task via task manager for it. I'm on Windows 10 an using tvp 11.5.1 WIBU
SaveplaceTest.png
SaveplaceTest.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 7192 times
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

tribute27 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 00:37 hi! I wanted to try this out but seem to hit a bump. Whenever I click the SavePlace button, it seems to lock and freeze the program, and remain on this pop-up. I've tried clicking Enter and Esc but it didn't work--it seems to be stuck in a loop somehow so I needed to End task via task manager for it. I'm on Windows 10 an using tvp 11.5.1 WIBU
Looking at the popup, I see that you probably tried to save a project that had not yet been saved. "Untitled" means that it was a new file with a "\" place holder title. The script is supposed to warn you in that circumstance, then EXIT... so I have to look at the error trapping again, and will probably do a rewrite.

Thanks for the feedback and I apologize for the trouble. :?

Will post a fix if needed.

sven
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

Looking at the popup, I see that you probably tried to save a project that had not yet been saved. "Untitled" means that it was a new file with a "\" place holder title. The script is supposed to warn you in that circumstance, then EXIT... so I have to look at the error trapping again, and will probably do a rewrite.

Thanks for the feedback and I apologize for the trouble. :?

Will post a fix if needed.

sven
Oh! I saved the file with the default name just as a quick test. I've tried it first on some project files from my work which had a huge file size so I was wondering if that caused the freeze.

And no worries at all, I'm not expecting anything. i downloaded the original script and that worked. Thanks for all your custom panels in general, they're all very good tools!
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

tribute27 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 01:46 Oh! I saved the file with the default name just as a quick test. I've tried it first on some project files from my work which had a huge file size so I was wondering if that caused the freeze.
And no worries at all, I'm not expecting anything. i downloaded the original script and that worked. Thanks for all your custom panels in general, they're all very good tools!
tribute27, The "apparent freeze" may have been caused by an extended delay loop for the popup message, which on some machines took much longer than intended (processor speed dependent).
Instead, the message now requires a click OK to continue. If you have a minute, download the updated version... try it and let me know if your problem is solved. Thanks again for the feedback.

sven